[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey and GMail

Ted Mielczarek ted.mielczarek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:10:14 EDT 2005

On 8/18/05, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Gmail might "know" what's happening if, for instance, the server side
> > notices an unusually high volume of calls; it also has
> > integrity-checking code of some sort (e.g., from the source, "Arrgh!
> > The page has been corrupted. If you are running security or firewall
> > software, you may have to disable it.") which might call home and
> > throw up a flag if tripped too many times.
>
> That was more or less my question.  What does the other side "see"
> when a Greasemonkey script is active and diddling the page?  I assume
> that will depend upon the script in question.

This is pretty well off the mark.  While you could theoretically
integrity-check your DOM and thus catch greasemonkey modifications, I
can't fathom an easy way to do it.  The only thing a remote host would
see as a result of your GM script would be extra server accesses.
Google is throwing up this error because a broken script is hitting
their server excessively.

-Ted