[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey and GMail

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:51:03 EDT 2005

On 8/17/05, Tom Tobin <korpios at gmail.com> wrote:

> Which version of Greasemonkey are you running?

0.5.0.  I try to keep my machine current and fully patched.

> I've been battering about the Gmail code for the last couple of days,
> developing an alternative sorting for the label bar (keeping labels
> with unread messages on top); considering all the methods I attempted
> before I finally hit upon a working one (including overriding Gmail's
> own functions), I'm thankful I *haven't* hit one of these nasties yet.
>  If I did, I'd be tempted to simply clean out my Gmail account and
> switch back to an account on my own server; once you ::cough:: play
> with the monkey, you can never go back.  ;-)

I've been happy overall with GMail.  I *could* live without
Greasemonkey tweaking it, but would prefer not to.

I am distinctly *unhappy* with account suspended messages that are
magnificently unclear about why.  I can't stop doing the bad thing if
I don't know what it is.  I suppose I can understand GMail's reasons
for it, but I don't have to like it.

> Gmail might "know" what's happening if, for instance, the server side
> notices an unusually high volume of calls; it also has
> integrity-checking code of some sort (e.g., from the source, "Arrgh!
> The page has been corrupted. If you are running security or firewall
> software, you may have to disable it.") which might call home and
> throw up a flag if tripped too many times.

That was more or less my question.  What does the other side "see"
when a Greasemonkey script is active and diddling the page?  I assume
that will depend upon the script in question.

>  -- Tom
______
Dennis