[Greasemonkey] Make the monkey do something (Was: New Greasemonkey UI)

Dave Land land at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 14:19:14 EDT 2005

On Aug 14, 2005, at 7:28 AM, Anthony Lieuallen wrote:

> Updated at
> http://www.arantius.com/misc/greasemonkey/greasemonkey-0.5-plus.xpi

Thank you for this update. It does just what I had hoped.

On Mac OS X, though, there's a mild misfeature.

Because of Apple's insistence until this month on a one-button mouse,
context menus are triggered either by holding down the ctrl key while
clicking, or holding the mouse button down a certain amount of time.

If I click-and-hold on the happy monkey, the menu pops up as one might
expect, but the observant eye notices that, a moment before, he goes
grey and sad, and stays that way after the menu is dismissed.

I would venture to guess that this is because the mousedown changes his
mood before the Mac-ish single-button-timeout-context-menu kicks in. I
don't know how you'd detect that the context menu was triggered by this
hold-down-the-button technique, or if it is even your responsibility...

On the other hand, the menu does just what I expect if I trigger it by
holding down the ctrl key, so that's what I'll do. Nevertheless, I
thought you'd want to know about this peculiar platform-specific
behavior.

Thank you again for putting the menu under the statusbar monkey.

Dave