[Greasemonkey] MagicLine

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 22:47:07 EDT 2005

On 8/5/05, Jason Schramm <jason.schramm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be better as an extension, or a toolbar. Then you
> could just enter terms in the bar, as if you were searching in one
> page.

Personally, I already have too many toolbars (three: menu, URL,
webdeveloper), and am loath to add another because that's less real estate
for the web, which is why I'm looking at this interface in the first place
after all. One of the first things I did with greasemonkey is convert all my
bookmarklets (except js shell, which I keep in my dropdown bookmarks) so I
could get rid of that damn toolbar. In fact, I pass up many extensions
exactly because they are so arrogant as to think they deserve a permanent
place impinging on my viewscreen (see google toolbar).

This script's interface is to my mind especially slick, reminicent of some
nice features of Tiger (by design, I imagine), and it works, too. When
you're typing in a query, you don't really need to be interacting with the
website you were looking at before, so it makes sense to *temporarily* take
control of the viewscreen. Make it an extension if you must, I say, but keep
the interface. It's nice as is.

(I suppose a XUL dialog would be ok, but they are rather ugly. And a dime a
dozen.)

-Jason