[Greasemonkey] MagicLine

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 16:35:54 EDT 2005

On 8/2/05, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> So anyway, this is what I was working on just before the recent
> security unpleasantness. Consider this a preview of "Greasemonkey
> Hacks". Not all the hacks are this good; some of them are even
> better.
> http://diveintomark.org/projects/greasemonkey/magicline.user.js
> It tracks your browsing and collects
> - page URLs
> - page titles
> - referrers
> - Author, description, keywords from <meta> tags
> - Technorati tags from rel="tag" links
> - XFN links
> - autodiscovered RSS/Atom feeds
> - autodiscovered FOAF files
> Then you can press Control + Shift + L anywhere to get the MagicLine
> prompt. Start typing, and it autocompletes based on all the data it's
> collected so far.
> Example: visit http://philringnalda.com/ and then type "mark" into the
> MagicLine prompt. MagicLine autocompletes my name and my home page
> because it parsed them from Phil's FOAF file. (MagicLine currently
> caches FOAF files forever.)
> Another example: visit http://del.icio.us/popular/ and then type part
> of the title of one of the links into the MagicLine prompt. MagicLine
> autocompletes the title and URL, because all pages on del.icio.us<http://del.icio.us>have
> autodiscoverable RSS feeds. (MagicLine caches RSS feeds for 24
> hours.)
> Downside: no UI for options yet. Also, it stores everything with
> GM_setValue, which stores everything in prefs.js. Browsing gets a bit
> slow after you have about 1000 saved items, and you'll need to clean
> out your prefs.js file manually. I still like it though, as an
> example of how far Greasemonkey can go. The next step (in my copious
> free time) will probably be to make an extension out of it so it can
> use a more scalable storage mechanism.
> Oh, and it works in Deer Park. :) Enjoy.

I installed this and then got distracted and forgot about it. Today, writing
my first extension, I needed to figure out how to write user prefs and
opened up about:config and saw all these user-set, diveintomark-namespaced
values and thought, oh yeah - that magic line thing. I went back to this
email to see how to use it and went over to del.icio.us
<http://del.icio.us>and hit ctl-shift-L and I just have to say

It's like spotlight for the entire internet! Nicely done and now I'm
*really* looking forward to the book.