[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkeyed.com, userscript.org, forums, source code, and the future of our community

Britt Selvitelle anotherbritt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:47:16 EDT 2005

On 8/3/05, Alex Thomson <abthomson at gmail.com> wrote:
> To branch or not to branch...
>
> Not having branching will probably lead to a somewhat cluttered
> directory with lots of very similar scripts that may even share a lot
> of common code.  This confuses everybody and decreases the quality of
> the scripts.

I doubt it will be that bad, but if it gets to be a real problem we
can address it then I think.

> With linear revisions, there is really only one current revision.
> Differences of opinion will lead to either back-and-forth edits, (like
> in Wikipedia, where branching isn't really feasible) forking, (see
> above), or, worst of all, people not bothering to share their scripts
> at all.

Back and forth edits should not be a problem because this interface is
really ONLY for small bugfixes to keep the script working should it
bitrot, if the creator decides to allow those. Any major changes
should be submitted as a patch to the original developer, just like
any other oss project.

Britt