[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkeyed.com, userscript.org, forums, source code, and the future of our community

Alex Thomson abthomson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 23:46:28 EDT 2005

On 8/1/05, Mark Rickerby <coretxt at gmail.com> wrote:
> A distributed version control repository, managed through a web
> interface, with discussion threading, visual diff capability, and no
> doubt searchable, and taggable as well.
>
> Are you sure that's a rather small nit?

Actually it's not as big as you might think, using subversion (or some
substitute) the hardest work is done for you.

About two months ago, I made a very primitive prototype of what I then
called a wiki interface to an svn repository (with the intent of using
it for GM scripts).

All I can say is that it's quite doable.  For me, it was part of a
Greasemonkey "IDE".  I wanted to be able to fork an (appropriately
licensed, of course) script, edit/fix it, make sure it worked, and
then check it in to the repo - all within the browser.  Installing the
script and opening it up in an editor works fine but I think this
better promotes "impulsive" GM scripting.

Online script editing is easy too,  I wrote a GM script that allowed
me to load js from a textbox on the editing page and see the results
on the target page.  It made quick, easy changes just that - quick and
easy.  Unfortunately though, a textbox isn't emacs, so this technique
really is limited to simpler edits.

-Alex