[Camino] Bookmark sidebar navigation

Mike Pinkerton mikepinkerton at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 23:09:13 EST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 3:43 AM, David Fedoruk wrote:

> I *searched*  through the list archives to find the reason why:

The reasons were:

1) Usability issues with smaller screens (window would have to move and
resize to allow for drawer to show, then move back when it closed).
2) Scalability issues with even a medium # of bookmarks. Go on and try
to organize your bookmarks in that thin area. I dare you.
3) Feature scalability in the sidebar. There was no way we could add
"top ten" or "address book" or "rendezvous" to the sidebar UI without
serious blowing it up.
4) Cocoa has issues with drawers and focus. We had a LOT of focus bugs.

For these reasons, it had to go. It is an old argument. People have
said to me "I must have the sidebar, you lost me as a user". That's
nice, drive through. The solution isn't easy. Maybe a standalone window
might be a good option. That's a future extension that i'm kicking
around in the back of my head.

Camino isn't for every single user. We cannot aim to please *everyone*.
Down that road lies madness. I'm sorry.

-Pink