[Camino] My Biting Review of Firefox

David Fedoruk david.fedoruk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 01:03:35 EST 2004

Hello:

 I haven't read the review but I only wish they had gotten native
> (looking) widgets into ff 1.0 mac.

You should read it. I thought it was grossly unfair and displayed a
lack of understanding of the whole FireFox project.

Why doesn't FireFox have native OS X widgets? FireFox was designed to
look exactly the same on all platforms. Users can move from Windows to
Linux to Mac OS X and move seamlessly between platforms. So, there
will never be native OS X widgets in FireFox because the user
interface is written with XUL (Extensible User Interface Language)
<http://xml.coverpages.org/xul.html>. The Cocoa widgets Camino uses
are not available to FireFox developers.

FireFox has actually done an outstanding job within the framework of
the project they've laid out. You can truly move seamlessly from
platform to platform. The fuss over FireFox is completely justified!

Cheers
David
--
The Penguin did it!!