[Camino] Ad blocking in Camino?

Geoff Beier me at mollyandgeoff.com
Tue Dec 7 20:50:12 EST 2004

On Dec 7, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Bill Blank wrote:

> How can I block ads in Camino?
>
> The Adblock extension works well in Firefox, PithHelmet does so (more
> clumsily) in Safari. What is there for Camino?
>
> This is most important for one with a 26.4 kbaus connection.

The Adblock extension will not really *block* ads. It just prevents
their display, at least in the incarnation that's known to work with
Camino. I've never used PithHelmet, so I don't know much about its
behavior. If I were browsing on a 26.4 kbps connection, though, I'd
want some truly industrial strength ad blocking. For that, though the
setup may seem a bit daunting, I'd recommend using a proxy. Either
install squid on your firewall with some good filters, or try the more
customizable privoxy. It's free and available from
http://www.privoxy.org/ . Configuring blocking actions requires some
effort, but the payoff is there in saved bandwidth. You also have the
benefit of having one ad blocker for any browser you might care to use,
so you only have to determine what you care to block once.

Good luck.

Geoff